Tuesday 4 December 2007

Nyang and Eggy Peggy

'Decca' is a bit of a curate's egg. But I have now found out that 'nyang' means sweet. Our former treasurer at work often used this description, and I never liked to show my ignorance by asking what it meant. It is described in the book as 'Mitfordian', but I suspect it may be a Harrow expression since he was an old Harrovian and hardly likely to have met the Mitfords.

Strange thing, invented words and languages. When I was a small child we used to speak something called Eggy Peggy to hide our conversations from adults. You basically slipped an egg between the syllables, i.e. cheggild, pronounced 'chayguiled' was child. This got more complicated with long words. 'Basically' would become 'beggaseggiceggalleggy'. The more you practised, the faster it got and the easier to use. It all came to a rapid end when I crossly said 'begguregger' in front of my vehemently anti-swearing stepfather, who replied 'heggouw deggare yeggou sweggear!' at which point I realised the game was up.

No comments: