Saturday 12 July 2008

Successful quiche mixture

I discovered some Jus-Roll shortcrust pastry which was already rolled into two circles in the freezer last night so removed them. Will think of something to make today, but last night I mashed some blue St. Agur cheese (1 pack) and fried three rashers chopped, of smoked streaky bacon and left to cool. To the cheese I added and mixed in half a pint of milk and a cup of Easy Yo yogurt. I then put in a bit less than half a teaspoonful of grated nutmeg, some salt, pepper and beat an egg in. Put the oven to 200, then buttered a removable base cake tin, put the pastry in bringing it up the sides a bit. Sprinkled a little parmesan on the base, filled with the egg, cheese and bacon mixture and put some more parmesan on top. Cooked for about half an hour, removed and let cool before removing the tin side (used a spring tin) and it was absolutely delicious. Had another bit this morning straight out of the fridge and it was still excellent.

I will have to think about what to cook in the other pastry - I was thinking of using some plain yoghurt and egg mix but sweetened this time - not sure whether to add fruit or I might rely on some spices. I could of course chop up a few of my prunes in Armagnac, place them on the base, and pour the sweet mix on top. We shall see.

No comments: