Sunday 3 August 2008

Bag Lady Is A Chav - Official

Had a very pleasant couple of hours with Madeleine outside the National Theatre watching a latino band called Merengada. There was a great atmosphere with people dancing and quite a crowd around, some hanging over the balconies, and even people watching from Waterloo Bridge.

Then Madeleine went home and I went to see 'Afterlife' by Michael Frayn.

I lasted about ten minutes before I started nodding off. A trumpet fanfare kept me awake right at the beginning, but when I realised that this was a morality play kind of within a morality play, full of stageiness and repetition, I became slightly comatose.

The last straw was the rhyming couplets throughout. I slipped out rapidly at the interval.

I felt I had found my level when I sat down to watch Big Brother on TV, sighing with relief to be back at home in my messy flat. I rang Dorothy to confess my failure to appreciate high culture and my embrace of the lowest kind of entertainment. Malvolio curled up beside me and my world was complete.

No comments: