Sunday 28 December 2008

Saturday and Sunday



Me and David in Spain. Bought a pinnie like this for Dorothy.

A happy new year to my reader, and anyone else who mistakenly happens upon this blog.

My first ex turned up yesterday to thank me for the small amount of cash I had sent him and to show me his new 'Fat Face' trousers from John Lewis. He still niffed a bit and on further investigation it seems that the launderette had not seen his underwear recently. I explained slowly and carefully that he needed two sets at least of everything: one to wear and one in the laundry and he should go there at least once a week and get into this habit. We had a cup of tea and exchanged books: I gave him the Folio Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and he gave me Robert Burn's poems, which I have since discovered I can only take in very small doses because of the dialect. He also gave me a very nice card with an image from a Japanese folding screen. He mistakenly left a carrier bag behind with a very smelly pair of woollen gloves inside, which I confess to picking up with some tongs and soaking in washing powder for several hours. I shall post them back when dry.

Later I carried on cooking and made a clementine cake which looks fine. In fact it looks so good I am reluctant to cut it. I sprinkled some almond flakes over the top which helps. I also purchased some 'fish pie mix' from Tesco. I added a drained tin of tuna in olive oil, some crayfish, some spring onions,frozen peas,sliced mushrooms and cooked it all in milk. Draining the fish off I thickened the milk with cornflour, added some dill and parsley, put the fish back in and topped with mashed potato and cooked in the oven. I am rather fond of fish pie.

No comments: