Friday 14 March 2008

Fairy Tales

Re the Folio Society, quite forgot to mention that I have ordered several Fairy Books. I think, pink, blue, yellow and maybe red or green.

Some people call it Alzheimer's but I prefer the gentle old expression 'second childhood'.

I shall pass them on to my nephew's daughter eventually, hopefully before she is too old for this kind of thing. There has been some media debate about the end of childhood. It seems to be fixed now at eleven so I had better read fast.

I am quite looking forward to receiving the fairy stories since the illustrations look very good indeed, and among so many books, who knows I might discover a new tale I missed when a child. Or not.

I think Oscar Wilde wrote some of the best fairy stories, and also Walter de la Mare wrote some very good stories for children. They were morality tales I suppose really, but always involved magical happenings, rather like the stories of E. Nesbit, which is why they are so appealing.

No comments: