Sunday 20 July 2008

Theatre and Lunching Out

Went to National Theatre to see'The Revenger's Tragedy'. When I arrived, the whole area was alive with crowds of people watching a street theatre performance and the area in front of the theatre covered in fake grass with outdoor sofas, deck chairs and a bandstand. The play was a restoration drama done in modern dress. Rory Kinnear, playing Vindice, gave an excellent performance, but I always feel he is physically miscast. The production was very good, and the play full of sex and gore. However, by the first interval I had the feeling that the rest was going to be just more of the same, and despite the play really being very good, I went home. I had been rather tired before I left home, and was glad to go to bed.

Yesterday I went to Karen's house to lunch. Karen was one of my rivals on House Guest. Leslie A was there with her husband and cooking partner with husband . Karen's husband Martin and two daughters were there. Pity Romy was not able to come as we had a lovely day, but she was leaving for Spain. We had a delightful lunch: a superb lamb dish which involved marinating, then barbecuing the lamb which gave it a smoky flavour, accompanied by lots of vegetables, and followed by no less than three puds: A mango sorbet, a treacle and lemon tart (Gordon Ramsay recipe) and Karen's own chocolate cake - all delicious. There was lots of foodie conversation, and Martin kept the glasses so full that we did not leave until very late (not helped by the fact that my newly mended watch had stopped - I did not realise until I got home that it was nearer 8 o'clock than 6.)Those two really are excellent hosts - I was mortified when I discovered the real time.

I shall attempt to pop into town to buy some ribbon today, then if I have time, take the watch back to attempt to obtain a refund.

No comments: