Monday 27 October 2008

Night Disturbances and Everlasting Stockpot

As it became dark quite early last night with the clocks back, there was a lot of noise from teenagers playing in the street outside, shouting and running up and down the street. Also bursts of a another very strange noise, which sounded like someone throwing gravel at a window, which may come from some new toy gun. It frightened Malvolio, who ran out of the room.

A little later my doorbell rang and when I answered a smallish boy was standing there, and asked if I could get him a tissue. I refused, and shut the door promptly.I decided this was either a ruse to get inside the house, or a dare from some other boys.

When the doorbell rang again later I was rather reluctant to answer it and asked who was there before opening it. It turned out to be a delivery man running very late. He said I should get a chain on the door or have a camera showing the person outside. Seems a good idea.

Made an excellent loaf of bread. It seems the softer the mixture, the better the bread rises, so I shall stick to making what initially seems like too soft a mixture.
I have made yet another stock pot. I am learning all the time with these, and the secret seems to be the addition of a pint or so of water every day, which stops it from becoming too concentrated. I cooked some large ravioli in it, and strained them out. I also added a chopped sweet potato and some broccoli, and ate this, again strained out, with some german sausage I had put in a couple of days before. Tonight, as the week is proceeding I will just add some macaroni and serve it with cheese, preceding this with a bowl of soup from the stockpot. It really is very similar to Carn d'Olla, if a bit more longlasting.

No comments: