Saturday 25 October 2008

Return from Abroad


Well, back from sunny Spain. Couldn't keep up with Romy and friends. I really am an old woman. Romy and husband were the perfect hosts, and deserve a medal after putting up with me for a week. I think they will need a further holiday soon. Romy's village house was lovely, but the mountain roads were a bit hairy. I had not realised the climate is almost tropical, growing bananas, grapes, oranges, limes, lemons, figs, peaches, nectarines, olives, grapes, pomegranates, avocados and mangos etc. etc. etc. Seems the only thing it's not quite hot enough for is the date, though there are plenty of date palms.

We went to several local markets which were great value, a lovely shop selling Moroccan things, lots of gorgeous mountain villages with fabulous views and also visited Torre del Mar, which was very nice.

Our great booze discovery was the amazing Pedro Ximenez wine, made from the PX grape ripened to a raisin in the sun, then the wine aged in oak for five years before bottling. This is a lovely, rich sweet, wine - great poured over ice cream. I managed to find a 50cl bottle in john Lewis today for £7.50. I am trying to persuade the Lye Torng to get some and serve it poured over vanilla ice cream. They would have queues at the door.

So far I have failed to install the software which will get my snaps into my computer, so I am unable to upload or edit them. This is a shame since I took loads of snaps. I had previously forgotten to pack my camera so took my snaps with a new small camera purchased at the airport. They seemed to come out OK as the new camera seems to have some feature which stops camera shake, something I am more prone to in old age.

Dorothy and Julian were at home when I arrived back and bought some fresh food for me.

No comments: