Monday 4 June 2007

Bermondsey, Heels and Skulls


Just reading on the SE1 forum about Tommy Steele's autobiography. I must read it. As I was at school nearby for a couple of years I remember the area quite well. Though we lived in the comparatively smart Blackheath, in the Paragon, a lovely georgian crescent, I went to school at St. Saviours and St. Olave's Grammar School.

I remember particularly a visit to Bermondsey Market where, due to parental intervention, I was unable to buy a) a genuine human skull, and b) a beautiful pair of antique shoes, with silk ribbons and china or earthenware heels. Both of these items were absolutely fascinating to me.

I have never yet seen another pair of shoes with china heels, but have a cast of a skull. This I decorated at art school in the Mexican Day of the Dead style, with paint and glass beads, in 1994. I now see Damien Hirst is rather more expensively casting and decorating skulls.

1 comment:

nomadeye said...

Yes, I saw the Hirst piece he's been crafting - seems rather pointless, except as a money making exercise. I'm not so sure about Hirsty - style rather than content, I feel. But what do I know - I'm just a humble photographer, not a lionized post-modern artist - Rob