Saturday 7 July 2007

Clove, Bead and Ribbon Oranges




These are fun to make. When I made some clove oranges last Christmas, I studded one or two rather sparsely, and left some oranges to go hard without studding them.

These work very well if you pin coloured ribbon around the oranges however you like, or not if you prefer, then stud the hard oranges with beads threaded on pins. If the holes in your beads are too large, you can first thread tiny beads or sequins on to the pins before threading on the larger beads. Sometimes rows of tiny beads can be effective, too. This is fun to do and can be a bit kitsch, but less so if you use plain matching beads in one colour. I have made quite a good plain white one from pearl beads. I have a bowlful of these in my boudoir, and the smell of spice and orange is quite pleasant as I walk past.

No comments: