Friday 6 July 2007

More Decorated Mirrors


Someone gave me a bag of old CDs from some record company. I cut these into rough mosaic shapes and recycled them as mirrors. CDs are thinner and lighter than glass mirror, reasonably unbreakable, and have a multicoloured sheen when moved, kind of AB.

This time I bought some very cheap mirrors from IKEA. I purchased large flat coloured plastic 'stones' and lots of tiny beads from a bead shop. I used plain black Tulip fabric paint to stick the pieces of CD on. The CDs can be cut using strong scissors but this is hard work - sometimes they just crumble - varies from CD to CD. When I had lots of pieces I put them into piles according to size and shape, then started sticking them on. Occasionally I would make large stones into 'flowers', then, if there were wide gaps, put some more Tulip paint in these, then drop teaspoons of beads over, occasionally pressing in. Leave flat to dry, shake the spare beads off, and continue until the mirror is finished. The edges can be painted with black acrylic paint to match. Also the inside edges next to the mirror surface, spare paint can be carefully scraped off the glass.

These have rather an Art Deco look. Another way of recycling!

No comments: