Thursday 5 July 2007

Hard Times

A bit pissed off since I have cleared out the kitchen for the last remaining work to be done, and now at 12.05 have been told they are coming tomorrow. No point in putting things back. Might as well spend the rest of the day's leave doing more stuff in the house.

It still feels very strange without TV, especially in the evenings. I do seem to have much more time though, and spent a couple of hours in the pub with friends last night. I am going to bed really early, and reading much more.

I am currently reading essays from Elia randomly, as I need stronger concentration for anything else. I do like the archaic language of Charles Lamb, and his affectionate descriptions, particularly of the old timers in the South Sea House. Probably for younger readers the whole thing would be too much hard work, too sentimental and would be seen as pointless in the modern world, where people like Alan Sugar seem to be heroes.

No comments: