Sunday 22 July 2007

New Departures and Old Things


My old Le Creuset pots.

Off to Eastbourne today. My case is too small so stuffed another bag full. Now I have to take a carrier bag as well with some papers for our seniors to read and sign. The taxi has been ordered for 12.30. It was pouring with rain, dark and cold when I got up at 5.45am. Now the sun is out and it is getting warmer, fortunately.

Had a long conversation with Nibby, who is so happy in Kangaroo Valley. She has a new neighbour who has also bought a tiny old bungalow like hers, but has decorated it in a very smart minimalist style. So Nibby was nervous about inviting her to her 'maximalist' pad, absolutely so full of things. She says she need not have worried,as her new friend immediately curled up on the sofa, thought her place was wonderful, and has gone around telling everyone how super it is.

We were chatting about how much we liked to have old stuff around us which was full of memories. Sal says the Rockingham dishes and the ironstone which mother left her makes her feel very comfortable, and the lovely Chinese silk embroideries on the wall. I agreed that it was good to have things from the past and that my very modern kitchen looked much more cheerful with mothers Le Creuset casseroles from the fifties. It was good to indulge oneself with some new old things too. I said what pleasure it was for me to use my silver teapot, and to buy a few silly things I had always wanted as a child, such as my cuckoo clock, which still makes me feel happy every time I hear it.

I told Nibby that I had seen our nephew Edward, and that my newly discovered half brother Mykel had emailed again. It seems that Cherie is moving house, and that Roberto and Lauren have sold their place in Wales and are packing up to go and live in Brittany now. He will let me have the new addresses when it has all happened. I told Nibby about Facebook which she may be interested in to be touch with old school friends and would find it handy. I told her about Madeleine's newly discovered cousins from South Africa too.

I hope our week will be OK, and am already looking forward to my return!

No comments: