Monday 29 September 2008

Neurosis and Stock Pot Obsession

It seems that all is well in sunny Spain. Had a text from Dorothy after I had sent my usual"are you OK" text (I don't know how to do numbers and punctuation on the mobile).

After all these years I still have this ridiculous separation anxiety. Ever since Dorothy and Julian left for the airport I have imagined: the plane crashing/their being driven off and robbed/murdered by the cab on the way from the airport/ the flat being squatted/broken into and empty, etc. etc. etc. So I was quite relieved to receive the text from Dorothy saying 'all good here'.

I sometimes wonder if I might just be a little neurotic.

A minor disaster with the last of my stock pot, which I left on too long while filled with beans and chick peas, causing it to become stuck and slightly burned at the bottom, but not all through, so had a large bowl full to finish it on Saturday. It was a bit vile cleaning the pot though. I have since made some gazpacho which I shall finish in a day or so, before starting a new kind of stock pot adventure.

I have decided to fry some pieces of bacon and an onion or two then put some chicken stock in. I shall then put a jar of sauerkraut and a few carrots, some juniper berries, bayleaves and eventually, potatoes. I have decided that I can put some chicken pieces and some chorizo or ham pieces also. This time I shall be careful to make sure there is plenty of liquid in at all times and use a timer.When I have finished most of it I will be left with some kind of sauerkraut soup. This kind of cooking is quite suitable when you are busy and only requires a little replenishment of meat etc. and boiling for 15 minutes a day. I may however get bored with performing this ritual before the end of winter.

No comments: