Monday 19 March 2007

Bizarre but Successful Restaurant Choice for Mother's Day

Mother's Day yesterday. When asked where I wished to be taken for a meal, I remembered a strange little place called the Tiroler Hut which I had once visited 35 years ago, and then discovered it still existed. This suggestion met with considerable resistance. However, my family duly arrived with a large bunch of flowers and other thoughtful purchases and the news that they had booked a table in the Tiroler Hut. Apparently it was a favourite haunt of Kate Moss!

Despite our forebodings, the food turned out to be perfectly OK. The whole place was stuck in a time warp from the sixties, which was perfect for me. My daughter-in-law said it reminded her of Twin Peaks. We ate and drank copiously and spent a really good evening. Sauerkraut was the sensible dish to eat, stuffed cabbage and apfelstrudel were all excellent, washed down with beer and apple schnapps. Interesting looking people kept arriving (we had booked early) and the place filled with quite a cosmopolitan crowd. The atmosphere was quite amusing with someone playing an electric organ at the beginning of the evening with totally naff old tunes . Just before we left another performer arrived with his accordion, so the fun was to last well into the night.

Today promises to be an ordeal. My diabetic cat (hungry, enormously fat and hard to catch) has to go to the vet for blood tests all day and I (permanently hungry and enormously fat, but easy to catch) have to go to the dentist.

No comments: