Sunday 4 March 2007

Cuckoo Clock and Cooking


The cuckoo clock is now fully working, complete with cuckoo sound and echo, and sounds of waterfall. It can be turned on 'high' (haven't tried it), low, and off. It has some kind of sensor which turns it off when dark, luckily, as it is in my bedroom. I keep childishly rushing down just before the hour to see the cuckoo. I may be forced to purchase another one for the kitchen. Have seen a large white plastic one which looks ideal.

Idly looking through some recipes, I became intrigued by all the 'refrigerator desserts' in my Fanny Farmer book.

I wondered if I could make some savoury dishes which did not require cooking, which reminded me of my eighties invention of Stilton ice cream, which was basically Stilton blended with a little cream and folded into whipped cream, formed into small balls and frozen, to be served as a starter with a tomato coulis dotted about the plate. My family were appalled at the very idea, and refused to try it. However I recently heard that such dishes are now being used by the more adventurous chefs. I am wondering about the idea of cooking and pureeing different colours of peppers, and layering them with a cream cheese and freezing to form a colourful and stripy starter. Or not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cream cheese layers sound a tad fanny craddock to me.