Friday 30 March 2007

Toothache, Job Stress and Window Shopping

A bit worried. I have always been a complete slut, but have managed to delude myself that since my robot cleaner has given up working I should purchase an upright lightweight slimline all floors Dyson cleaner. I am still considering this possibility.

After a fractious morning at the dentist recently, during which my new upper false teeth became firmly stuck in my mouth, causing general panic and the real possibility of having to break it in half to remove it, before it eventually came out again and was filed down a bit, and an appointment to meet our new accountant at the office, during which my complete ignorance about the running of the organisation, and worse, my total incomprehension of money matters, right down to dealing with petty cash, I was looking forward to a day off today.

I was turning over the idea of visiting the Ettore Sottsass retrospective at the Design Museum and to have a look at their Valentine typewriter in particular. I was delighted when I found this lovely red portable typewriter in a market a couple of years ago, and have become very fond of it.

Since it is pouring with rain so the thought of actually leaving the house at all has become unwelcome, I have changed the bedding instead and cleared up the kitchen a bit, but cannot bring myself to hoover the bedroom. I am definitely feeling like a geriatric Bridget Jones but with the absence of any interest in men. I am still trying to make the huge decision:whether to cab it to the Design Museum or bus it to John Lewis to look at the Dysons.

Well, I went to John Lewis. The Dyson was a disappointment, very heavy indeed. I shall now look for the lightest upright vacuum cleaner I can find. However they were selling silver Roombas so they can't be too bad. Had a look at the garden furniture and a sandwich lunch with coffee. The new restaurant 'Place to Eat' on the fifth floor was a pain, in that it was basically a canteen with lots of different counters for each type of food, presumably aimed at minimising the queues, but the crockery was very heavy white, strangely shaped and oversized, which made this tired shopper even more tired trying to carry a sandwich and coffee to a table. These were nearly all taken, and I had a table full of someone elses' rubbish, which made it difficult to get the tray onto the table. Rather stressful, but at least the coffee was OK. Next time I will pass on the sandwich.

Popped into the Thai restaurant and bar on the way home, where they had a civil partnership celebration. Helped with the tables a bit since they were panicking, but all well in time for the party to arrive. Noticed that fascinators seem to have replaced hats for these occasions, but quite successfully.

Toothbrush still not arrived.

No comments: