Saturday 24 March 2007

Sugarpet and Rose Tattoo

My cat's test results through. My vet tells me that his diabetes is uncontrolled and that I should take him in for a full day or overnight blood tests. Since he seems quite well in himself, not losing weight, not drinking too much water, no hypos etc I am just inclined to gently increase his insulin a little while looking into home blood testing as with a human diabetic, but apparently it is illegal in UK!!!!

Then I discovered it said on the outside box of the insulin that it only kept for 28 days once started. Well, the vet had previously said it kept for a year. The insulin I had been giving him was ten months old, so not surprisingly the test was abnormal. I have been unable to clarify this with my vet, but have googled around and found an interesting site called sugarpet.net which is a cat owner site and her view is that it probably lasts for about three months so I shall accept that pro tem. While considering doing simple home blood tests as advised on that site, which may or may not be feasible.

I am rather suspicious that all these rules are aimed at making more and more money for vets, rather than the welfare of the animals.

Went to a matinee today and saw The Rose Tattoo with Zoe Wanamaker. It was a brilliant performance and I really enjoyed it. Quite a treat. I really do like the Olivier Theatre at the National, a super space with a good atmosphere, and excellent red wine available in the foyer. Their top priced red (still under £5) is surprisingly good.

No comments: