Friday 6 June 2008

Quiet Life

It is now Saturday. I found more of the Dovell family online but the mystery about my great aunt Joan remains: I had always understood that she had died in the 1970's, but according to the internet, her name was Harriet John Dovell (not Joan) and she died in the 1990's which means she reached a great age considering the TB meningitis which had laid her low in the 1950's. I had not seen her since then, when I was a child, but her sister, my grandmother Kathleen, had sent reports on her.

Made another good walnut loaf, this time with half plain flour and half spelt. I also made the very excellent quiche (I normally dislike quiche) with parmesan in the pastry and made with blue cheese and cream. The fried topping of walnuts fried in butter with a couple of cloves of garlic chopped small and a handful of chopped parsley, also fried, is what seems to make it so delicious. Pity I don't have some tasters!

The lavender plants arrived yesterday. Three looked a bit black but I planted them nonetheless. We shall see if they grow. Some clothes arrived from Land's End, but no yoghourt maker yet.

I went to the SE1 lunch club and met Plum and Juliet and someone else (I am not good with names) and we had a very pleasant lunch at the Royal Oak. This is fairly close to the office and would be a good option when Romy and I fancy a change since the food is pretty good.

Today I plan to collect my sofa cushions from the dry cleaners and take a dress to be shortened. Otherwise I can be quite lazy, though if I had the energy I would be going through the flat turning out rubbish, cleaning frantically, etc. This will probably never happen.

No comments: