Friday 2 July 2010

Torquay Week



This lobster was the best bit. I managed to meet up with Jon and Charles and we had a super lunch at the Elephant in Torquay - home from home. I was so fond of lobster that I managed another lunch, finally followed by a last one with Romy. I may move into the restaurant soon.

One punter was ill throughout the stay but was not keen to return home. Instead she was taken to hospital and visited a GP . Seems it was mainly dehydration. Otherwise all was fairly OK apart from a couple of room changes and swaps and inevitable grumbles about 'modern' food. Actually the food at the Grand Hotel was delicious, and the service very helpful indeed. It was so hot that the rooms were like ovens, so fans were more or less continually switched on. There were trips out nearly every day which were enjoyed by all and I am now completely exhausted and several pounds heavier. We went to Paignton and Brixham and a rather good place called the House of Marbles in Bovey Tracey. I managed a few trips to the hotel's outdoor swimming pool, along with Romy and several punters. Wonderful in such hot weather.

I also managed to meet Mike and Sharon for a wonderful dinner at the Coombe Cellars in Combteignhead. This is a fantastic place in a superb location by the river. So good to see them again. I am determined to try and get down there again soon. Mike tells me he knows of a fantastic b & b which only has six rooms but has indoor and outdoor pools etc, and is very luxurious. He is going to send me a link to their site.

Kook was fine on my return. However the garden was a bit overgrown and dead looking because of the intense heat. I shall spend the next few days doing washing and gardening.

Dorothy's birthday today. Tonight he is going to a Japanese place but very late. Have arranged to go to Wild Honey tomorrow night with Dorothy and Julian.

No comments: