Thursday 19 August 2010

Quiet Life in SE1

The day improved a little with a visit to Selfridges to try the new Jo Malone scents. In fact the one I was most interested in was out of stock and I didn't like the others too much, so I came back for lunch and had a leisurely afternoon and evening.

Today, I paid my salary cheque in, collected a dress from the dressmaker, had coffee followed by a chat with the guy from Sensational who had just had a wonderful holiday in the Camargue staying with rich friends in a super house. Seems they really don't like the taxman in France. He told me that the tax people were inspecting the laundry bill for a local restaurant, tallying up the number of napkins laundered with the number of covers in order to charge maximum tax. The enraged owner got together with the rest of the village and the taxman was completely ostracised by everyone and had to leave the place in a hurry. Apparently, before he eventually left, if the taxman went to a local restaurant for a meal, all the other diners would move away from him to tables at the other end. Bars and shops closed suddenly as he arrived, and so on. So French, somehow.

Dorothy has a new suit and various pairs of shoes. Farewell company drinks tonight and packing tomorrow to spend a week at a conference abroad before starting the new job.

I am trying to think of an easy and delicious pudding to make as I am filling in at an SE1 dinner.

No comments: