Monday 16 April 2007

Kitchens and Ceilings

IKEA are mailing me forms about customer satisfaction before the work is finished! My son points out that the loose wires they left on top of the cupboard are a definite fire hazard if they became disconnected. I have already pointed this out to the man in charge of the last fitting, but could not find a ladder for him to inspect them. I must remember to take the ladder down to the kitchen today for this to be done.

I am nervously awaiting the workmen this morning. I have just realised my framed Gilbert & George poster has not been taken down.

They have arrived and one said the current bad join in the kitchen is 'as good as you get' and seemed to think the bubbles at the edge on the other side were normal. All a bit worrying. They came back saying they had wrongly scratched the parking permit I gave them and asked for another. Because I have needed so many these are becoming very expensive at twenty odd quid for a pack of ten, and I cannot get any more this year apparently, so hopefully they won't take too long.They are not interested in the loose wires on top of the cupboard.

They are now trying to get the old worktop out. There is cellulose sealer everywhere except in the joint which had bubbled up, which would explain why that happened. So far they have removed half of one of the worktops. It seems that I may have to have a complete new ceiling in the sitting room. They have rung the plasterer and I am now waiting for a verdict and a price.

They have just managed to get the old worktop out. Bits are everywhere. They have put the old worktop into the van and they have gone off to make some calls and have a break. There was an incredible amount of silicon which had to be scraped out by hand and they have had to remove one of the door lintels, because the previous tops were put in before the tiles and now there is less space.

Well it seems that I do need a new ceiling and will remove the television, tables and chairs tonight. I shall expect a room full of rubble and a hellish couple of days. They are now coming (two of them) tomorrow, so we shall see. A good thing I estimated three days for all the work and arranged to take time off work. I have to take a party to the Geffrye Museum on Thursday morning, so it had better be finished by then.

One new worktop has been cut to size and is in the process of being put in. It looks quite nice. Kitchen finished with minimal tile damage. Gas man coming Wednesday to reconnect. One of the kitchen guys may be willing to do the floor in the sitting room and will quote for this.

No comments: