Monday 23 April 2007

Marriage and License

I was looking for my Tate membership card which seems to have disappeared when I unexpectedly came upon my parents' marriage license. It seems that on the date of their marriage in February 1940, my mother was 17 and my father 29 years old. They were married in Wolverhampton where my father was a fireman in the ATS??? and a saxophonist in some orchestra. His father was an ornamental plasterer. My mother's address was in Paignton and her father was described as a manager of a general store - actually I think he managed Woolworth's during the war, got a lot of good deals for the local convent, Stoodley Knowle, as a result of which we all obtained reduced boarding fees - rather wasted on me as I managed to get expelled - I never quite knew why except that I was a most difficult child. My younger sister however soldiered on there until the end of her schooling. My mother pleaded for me with various local schools, eventually succeeding in getting me in to a local grammar school which I left as soon as I legally could.

My son and his wife left to go to Spain for a short holiday. I do hope they are all right. I am hoping they will ring or email me soon.

Yesterday I attended the licensing of a new vicar and the church was packed. It was quite a successful event certainly in terms of attendance, and the local MP was conspicuous by his presence, as always. Also there was Jo Brand, the comedian, a friend of the new vicar. I hope this means that he has a great sense of humour, always a good quality in a vicar or anyone else.

No comments: