Tuesday 10 April 2007

Work and Space

Friday 13th is apparently the arrival day for the IKEA worktops. I had already been told this, but again IKEA rang to say this would happen. When I reminded them about the cupboard door (due in November) they knew nothing about it. It is supposed to arrive with the worktop, so we shall see.


Several emails back and forth about the fitters and they are in fact coming on Monday 16th. Also the man who is going to pin up my sitting room ceiling. I asked what i should do about emptying cupboards to put the worktops on and the head fitter told me not to worry until the guys are here.

I think I shall have to take the Tuesday off as I can't imagine all this work being finished in one day.

I am looking around the sitting room despondently at all the shelves, table, windowsill, mantelpiece, telly top, all stuffed with bowls, vases, flowers, candlesticks, clocks, jewellery, books, lamps etc. and the thought of moving all these, plus the curtains, two floor rugs, three mirrors and six pictures and finding somewhere to put it all, oh, and the table, sofa, three chairs and TV, is a bit depressing. The kitchen tops equally are totally overladen.

Why can't I be minimalist? It is not just stuff acquired over years, it is stuff bought as 'essential' at the time, then just taking up space later.

I really need to eat my credit cards and permanently lose my purse. I do constantly 'declutter' and give things away to people on my local forum and others.

Maybe it is a security blanket kind of thing, apart from the gratification of receiving items through the post or bringing them home, like presents, I maybe have some need to be surrounded by piles and piles of stuff. Oh well. I must just be a top consumer: eat too much, and just buy too much - all the time. Probably lucky that my flat is a small one.

No comments: