Sunday 15 April 2007

Yet More Ice Cream and Oldies

I bought the ingredients for Stilton ice cream, and also some foreign soft blue cheese to make a comparison. My sister had suggested making a batch with sour cream also, which I may do. I mixed everything up and put it in the freezer. It was frozen very solid when I removed it. My freezer may be too cold. Anyway I let it melt for a bit and decided the texture was a bit solid so beat two eggs whites and folded it into these and put back in the freezer. Not sure it will be creamy enough with the egg whites.

I then put a combination of fresh mashed raspberries, sugar and whipped double cream to see if it will make a satisfactory ice cream without eggs.

My ex sister-in-law rang to hear my news. She had been in Cornwall on holiday for a couple of days and had come back exhausted, but said Cornwall was a lovely place, so the break was obviously good for her.

Bought a copy of the Oldie. Two articles caught my attention: one mentioned the As You Like It coffee bar in Soho years back, which had been owned by Barrie Stacey. I had met Barrie through an actress friend of mine. The other was a Beryl Bainbridge review of A Man of Mode, which I had also seen. Ms Bainbridge had been offended by the sexual scene and seemed unhappy about the modern dress. I absolutely loved the modern dress as it was so well done and was not at all offended by the sexual scene, which seems rather normal in a Restoration comedy. Ms Bainbridge thought it was a generational thing to be offended and it might be. This led me to consider how everyone over fifty is put into the same generation by the young, yet to me, at sixty five, someone of eighty five is of the same generation of my mother and had a pre-war upbringing.

No comments: