Sunday 1 May 2011

Beware River Cobbler Fish

Purchased two cheapo packs of this from Tesco: 1 smoked and 1 fresh. Put one in the freezer and used the smoked one to make some chowder which was excellent.

However, after my bout of extreme illness last night, I Googled this fish with most alarming results. Seems that masses of people have become ill after eating it, so I shall chuck the remaining pack away. It is farmed in the Mekong delta, in Vietnam. Nibby tells me that conditions in the far East are absolutely disgusting, to the extent that she never purchases anything from there. Anyway the Google thing was a total offputter. I am surprised that Tesco stocks this muck, though I suppose I should not be, since it is in their 'basic' range and they have probably worked out that they would receive fewer and less effective complaints from the proles purchasing this stuff.

Be warned.

No comments: