Friday 19 March 2010

Curiouser and Curiouser

After meeting my friends, a couple of days later a package arranged from my old friend with a letter referring to 'a collection of props which would be ideal for the play I had mentioned', and that she hoped that the enclosed would be of the right period. On unwrapping the item, I discovered it was a very pretty five stone diamond ring. I immediately emailed back, saying that we had not discussed a play, she had obviously meant to give it to someone else, and that I could send it or deliver it to someone in London.

I then received a call to say it had been intended for me - but she had forgotten to hand it over so had posted it, and not wishing to imply that it was of value in case someone was tempted to steal it, had made up the 'play' story. It had been her mother's engagement ring. I have to say it fits perfectly and is a most wonderful and unexpected gift. She said I could flog it if necessary - but until then I am the proud possessor of a lovely antique diamond ring. I shall now be a very grand old lady, and may take on some airs and graces (unlikely), but I may at least attempt, however unsuccessfully, to become more of a 'lady'. Hmmmm. We shall see. I may take a snap of it on my old and gnarled finger. Or not.

No comments: