Friday 12 March 2010

Traumatic Vet Visit

Yesterday afternoon, with huge difficulty: catching, carrying, Julian ringing me while all this was happening - I took the Kook for his first vet visit. He squawked loudly all the way there. It took half an hour in the car, and then there were steep steps down to the surgery. On top of that it was pissing with rain. My blood pressure must have been sky high.

Anyway, he was eventually seen by the vet. To my surprise, in the past Kooky had apparently had all teeth removed apart from the top and bottom incisors. I had always thought he looked a bit fangy with his mouth open. No wonder I hadn't been able to change him to dry food only. The vet seemed to think he was a good cat but needed to weigh about 6kg instead of his current 7.6kg, so his food needs to be halved. He was dewormed, had his jab and some flea stuff, which needs to be given every month, though he had no fleas. Coming back was even worse because the driver had great difficulty in finding my address and drove all over the place, and the car smelt awful.

I overate all evening, trying to recover from the stress, while he was surprisingly unfazed by the whole experience. Typical. I tried to fool him about the food by giving one small tin in two helpings a couple of hours apart. This has worked so far. Would that I could do this for myself.

No comments: