Saturday 6 March 2010

Pink Chair, Pink Orchid, Party, Baby and New Book


Eyes now seem OK. Yesterday was Friday and I painted a chair bright pink. With the help of Romy I think I have now chosen a painting to submit for the oldies exhibition, though I will still consider some others. Applying varnish has helped the colours, which had sunk a bit. I just have to screw fixings to the back and neaten the edges with white or black.

My neighbours had a couple of surprise announcements: they were expecting a baby in August; also, they said they were having a party last night. To apologise in advance they offered to give me a bottle of wine which I refused since I have rather too much wine, but then turned up with a handsome pinky-purple orchid which I had to accept and which looks quite good with the pink chair (above).

Reading a new book 'The Last Highlander' written fairly recently by a man who was caught up in the second World War. Everything happened to him, from being called up at 19, being captured by the Japanese and forced to work on the railway and bridge over the river Kwai, surviving terrible treatment, thrown into an old ship bound for Japan which was bombed by the Americans, to being picked up after several days by the Japanese and taken to Nagasaki where he was finally blown off his feet by the blast of the atom bomb. He is now 90, and still suffering from the effects of all this. Unsurprisingly. Extraordinary.

Dorothy rang last night. He has booked to take me to Wild Honey next Sunday, which should be fun.

No comments: