Tuesday 27 April 2010

Dorothy, Kooky, Cuckoo Clock and Past Holiday


I am rather worried about Dorothy, who I think is doing far too much. Seems that Julian has an internship somewhere for a short while, and I hope it goes well. What those two really need is a decent holiday. If I were a doctor, I would prescribe something very restful in a west country seaside town, such as Torquay. Or Exeter, if they wanted to be inland. Madeleine always has a couple of weeks in a rented cottage in Cornwall. Dorothy and Julian do like to be in a town. I suppose there are holiday cottages and flats in towns.

Moved my cuckoo clock upstairs. It stopped cuckooing, and on investigation I had turned the cuckoo off by mistake. Quite missed it.

Kooky escaped last night and didn't come in while I was awake. He did not wake me up and I woke up at 6.30am. Found him fast asleep on the trunk in the spare room. He eventually came up to breakfast. I suspect he has been outside most of the night and is tired in the morning. Checked him over, but no visible wounds.

Found a sketch book and diary of my stay in Czechoslovakia and Hungary in 1991. I had forgotten how ill I was for the first few days - quite alarming to read about it. I obviously wanted to come home but was feeling too ill and lay about in the hotel, sleeping and taking various painkillers - not eating, feeling very sick, chest pains for which I took GTN which gave me the most dreadful headache. Looking back, not sure how much of it was the enormously long coach journey giving me ankles like footballs on arrival, or an afternoon in the burning sun in Brno, when I may have had sunstroke. I missed several outings including one to Vienna, but perked up later, in time to visit the rather beautiful Pjernstein Castle. All this time at the Hotel Voronez, the competitors for the girls world junior baseball championship and their trainers were staying. The girls were Chinese and Russian mainly - all looked gigantic and rather steroid enhanced. Sketched some muscly legs (above) - the knees and calves were huge.

No comments: