Sunday 16 January 2011

It's Me Again

Found a text on my mobile yesterday from my Christmas Eve hostess. I shall call her Penny. She proposed meeting up, so, a creature of habit always, I suggested the Lye Torng, where I was due to have lunch anyway. After I had relaxed with a coffee and the papers, Penny arrived, and we had another coffee and a chat. After lunch we repaired to Baglady Towers for more chat and more coffee. Penny told me about her family and background, and revealed details of her rather large property portfolio. I suspect she is a rather astute businesswoman on the quiet. Though Penny is very different from me: much younger, a veggie, a bit of a leftie, loves to walk, etc., there are some interesting family parallels in both of our past lives, though she is so much more serious than me. Sometimes I am quite glad to be a mindless superficial consumer. I showed her some of the excellent Groupon deals and agreed to let her know when anything brilliant turned up and she threatened to take me on a walk to see her favourite sculpture by the river somewhere in Southwark.

Today I discovered that I had lost another four and a half pounds - yippee - only another eight stone to lose! When I retire at the end of December, I shall have to become less of a consumer since my income will be minuscule. I am already trying to think of ways to supplement this, so far unsuccessfully, but we shall see.

The Scrabble thing is becoming rather dire: having thought I was the least competitive person in the world, I have become totally addicted to trying to beat the computer, so the games are getting longer and longer, while my walnut brain tries to win games. I have now managed to win a few, but it is a frightful waste of time.

No comments: