Saturday 29 January 2011

Norman Rockwell and large mirror

Madeleine pitched up, and after a quick coffee we set forth, her satnav giving us an interesting, but eventually successful route to Dulwich Picture Gallery. I must say they do an excellent lunch there: I had chowder with large prawns, mussels and lots of fish, and Madeleine had grilled chicken with sweet potato cake. Then we had to queue, as the exhibition was very popular. It was very good to see Madeleine again.

I can't think of anything particularly clever to say about Norman Rockwell. My first introduction, as I probably said, was seeing the Saturday Evening Post when a child in Trinidad, where we were more likely to come in contact with American magazines than English ones, so I was familiar with cartoons such as Lil Abner and Sparkle Plenty and only later acquainted myself with the Beano and Dandy, after our return to Blighty. Meanwhile Norman Rockwell never ceased to astonish us with his inventive and very lively covers. The other artist illustrator whose work I saw was the wonderful Mr Watkins, who drew Oor Wullie and the Broons for the Scottish Sunday Post. Such great draughtsmanship.

I have to say I had not realised how early Norman Rockwell started working, and how long he carried on. I did quite like the small amount of work I saw at Dulwich from his older years, such as the classroom of Russian children, and I have also seen postcards of his moon landing paintings. For his card player cover, it was amazing to discover that the photographer had to stand on a plank to snap the players for the painting.

Dulwich Picture Gallery is a really good place. I must get back to see the permanent collection one day. It would make a good outing on a summer Sunday.

After the rather excessive consumption of the last couple of days, I gingerly stood on the scales. Sunday always feels like the day of judgment. Anyway I actually lost a pound and a half, so, folks, calorie counting does work. Having a daily total of 1200 calories, if a weight loss amount is 1500, gives a margin for error when calculating the calories, since the human inclination is to underestimate these. I think the most helpful thing, though, is the huge mirrored screen by my door, in which I see a vast and unfamiliar view of my still gigantic body. This really works.

No comments: