Friday 15 April 2011

Foodie Saturday Preparations


Just read that shopping is very beneficial for over 65s, though I suspect the research refers to daily food shopping, rather than the fun to be had when buying clothes, etc. Hardly a surprise that the exercise is good, and the possible fresh food in the house is also good. Though apparently tangerines in particular, and all citrus fruit, help you lose weight. Must eat more of these.

Chatting to a cabbie recently, I have decided that my starter of fennel with radishes finely sliced a la Jamie, with masses of chopped parsley and my whole lemon dressing, will actually do for a main course accompaniment. The cabbie and his wife entertain a lot and a chef friend suggested not having starters, but concentrating on the main and maybe serving more than one pudding. I have a very good looking Gressingham chicken which has been anointed with some kind of glaze, which I shall roast and serve with chopped roasted potatoes. I shall copy Romy on the pudding front, and provide berries and some other fruit, macerated in a little elderflower cordial. I will also provide cheeses and grapes. Before, we will have gherkins, olives, chilli pickled garlic cloves, and some nutty things. All followed by coffee from the Nespresso machine provided by Dorothy a year or so ago. Don't think we will starve, but I must remember FHB (family, i.e. me hold back) for dietary reasons.

Since my friends like bright colours I decided on a Provencale turquoise tablecloth with a colourful border. I shall use my green water glasses, and lots of green glass for serving some of the food. Apart from the chicken which will come on a board. And I have swapped my white handled cutlery for some rainbow handled French stuff. I tend to keep all this standing in a basket on the table, so it is always handy.

No comments: