Saturday 2 April 2011

Morning After

Last night I made couscous for Dorothy, Julian and Madeleine. Julian planted some pretty spring flowers in the garden and generally cleared up, chopping up and removing the last bits of Christmas tree: hooray!

We had an excellent evening, and discovered that Madeleine and I do not have a shared taste in music. This became clear when the Three Bonzo's 'Jollity Farm' started playing on my I-player. Dorothy was of the view that some music sounds fresh thirty years later, and some is much more of its time. Whilst I am sure this is true, my fondness for some tunes remind me of my mood when I first heard them. Though I know what he means. Maybe I only need to eat couscous about once a year, too, because the memory is better than the actual stuff. We shall see. It was very popular with my French students. As was choucroute garnie, possibly my next foray into memory lane.

Madeleine stayed overnight, leaving early this morning. Apart from my habitual rude awakening by Kooky, I had a further shock by making the unprecedented decision to shower, rather than bathe. I turned the shower on and water shot all over the bathroom from a great height. Looking up, I realised the shower had a hole in it near the top. I cannot imagine how this had happened. I shall have to dismantle the head and replace it. Damned nuisance.

Feeling rather fragile, I picked my way to the Lye Torng and had a small lunch while reading the papers. Dorian kindly bought me some more dishwasher tablets, so I returned home to put more dishes into the machine.

Today, I cleaned the pond pump out. Kook has his evil eye on the fishes, and I am sure he will eventually succeed in catching them, since, as Madeleine pointed out, they are sitting targets in such a small pond. We shall see.

No comments: