Monday 3 November 2008

Another Bag, Stockpot, and Ghastly Mac

Another handbag arrived today. This time it was a Jane Shilton navy leather kelly bag, rather larger than the last bag. Excellent.

I have just put on yet another stockpot. This one consists of two pre-fried onions and some lamb neck chunks, then 1pt lamb stock, followed by three chopped sweet potatoes, lots of smallish carrots, about half a kilo of 'tourist' sausages chopped, one dried hot pepper from the new string brought back from Spain, two bayleaves from the garden, three cloves of garlic, a few sliced mushrooms, a couple of litres of water, a large bunch of chopped parsley and a sprig of rosemary from the garden, a teaspoon of sugar, one of those new chicken concentrated stock things advertised by Marco on the telly, a glass of red wine, I shall probably also add some smoked paprika and later, a whole sliced cabbage, etc., etc. It is now simmering happily away in the kitchen in the preserving pan, and smells quite nice. I may put in a can of tomatoes at some stage, but it smells quite good without at the moment.

I am waiting in for delivery of a mac, this time with a rather lurid furry leopard lining, which has had appalling reviews in QVC which I saw after I bought it. That wretchedly annoying Dennis Basso, with the vile voice, and horribly oily manner, holds a bizarre fascination, and I become mesmerised until he could probably sell me a used box of matches for £100. Must stop watching. What I really want is that impossible thing: a very plain navy mac with traditional raglan sleeves and thin lining, not available in a size 30 or 32. I would be happy with a fake navy drizabone from a game fair, but do not go to these any more. They used to do them in vast sizes, usually described as 'medium' and they were very fine, so unbulky. Ideal. My sister had one when she lived in the borders in a browny colour and she offered this to me. Should have taken it.

No comments: