Wednesday 26 November 2008

Today's Intentions

Today I intend to go to the post office, since one now can't buy stamps to post cards abroad, say to Australia. I used to get them from W.H. Smith but now they are only selling them at the post office, unlike most other places in Europe. I may also make another pissaladiere since I have rather taken to these. For the first time in a long while I don't yet have another stock pot in progress. I shall instead rely upon cheese on toast and so on for meals. And pissaladiere when I have made it. I also intend to have an experimental bake of the almond cake without oranges but adding a small amount of almond essence. It has occurred to me that I could make a rather fine though unorthodox version of Barbadian sweetbread. This is made like an ordinary cake using ghee instead of butter, and with masses of dessicated coconut (which I normally loathe) and industrial quantities, i.e. whole bottles for three or four loaves, of both vanilla and almond essence. This cake is totally delicious, against all expectation, and was extremely popular with my late mother. I may try doing a version with just eggs,sugar and ground almonds, adding the dessicated coconut and essences, but at a future date. I will concentrate on the plain almond version pro tem.

Last night I obtained a vast number of knitting needles on Ebay, and also from the same seller, three smart pairs of leather gloves in black, tan and green, as well as a pair of unworn Betty Barclay flatties in brown, the most dubious purchase being the knitting needles. I may attempt knitting again if the winter is long, and may offer any spare needles to a stitch and bitch group - or indeed anyone else who would find them useful.

This afternoon I shall collect some of the things which will hopefully have been altered. The rest will be ready on Friday afternoon.

No comments: