Saturday 22 November 2008

A Sad Story

Madeleine has been and we had a long discussion about wedding wear. What she needs to find is a black or purple shrug to wear with her lovely new dress. If nothing else, a pashmina might do, though a shrug would be better.

A rather depressing call from Dorothy which confirmed my suspicions that the artist renting a shop below my office had died. Not sure how. It seems he died about a week ago, and his body was found in the basement.

On my last day in the office last week the guys renting the place next door were concerned because, unusually he had not been seen for a week. I had also missed him. Unfortunately no key was to hand so no one was able to look inside his shop. When leaving late that day, I started wondering again about him. All his work was still there so he had intended to return. I looked through the letterbox and all looked normal. I stopped to talk with the guys renting next door, who said they were worried about him, art classes had not been cancelled, people kept turning up to see him, so I said they should contact the keyholder early the following morning, or perhaps the police could open up. I kept telling myself that I was being melodramatic and imagining things. Unfortunately not. It just seems so awful that something like this could happen and for us all to be so completely unaware.

We had often passed the time of day with him and Romy had bought several of his cards and works. He will certainly be missed by everyone around.

No comments: