Sunday 16 November 2008

Enjoyable Luncheon


Sunday morning. Well, everything was done in time, but both friends ate like birds so I could feed an army today. I don't think it was my cooking, but given that one of them weighs 7st and the other, though much taller, 8st, I suppose this was inevitable. The Hindle Wakes, though a disaster last night, tasted fine, but is a pain to make. It did not look right as I had to totally debone it, place it on top of some of the surviving stuffing, then cover it with the lemon sauce and garnish with lemon, parsley and prunes. If I ever did make anything like it again, I would stuff the chicken with damsons mixed with a small amount of beetroot for the purply effect inside, then roast it and let it go cold before covering with the sauce. At least it would look better. Anyway.....

I now have a huge vase of birds of paradise flowers purchased by Roxy in Brixton which look extremely imposing on my table. I may take some snaps of these.

The orange cake, made by boiling two large oranges for two hours then depipping and putting in a food processor, or in my case Bamixing, then mixed with six beaten eggs, 250g sugar and 250g ground almonds before cooking at 170 for one to one and a half hours, then cooling in the tin, was absolutely fabulous, and seems pretty foolproof. Very moist and delicious. I shall definitely make this again, and try and find some other cake recipes which use ground almonds instead of flour. I think a coffee or choc cake might be good.

Have continued Ebaying, though I suspect my clothes alteration bills may be a bit high as most things need shortening to my dwarf-like proportions. I think most 17st people are fairly tall.

No comments: