Thursday 27 November 2008

Club, Cake, Christmas Stamps and Closures

Lunch club today. We are going to the Wine Wharf. Unfortunately Plum can't come, so I shall miss her. However Juliet and a few others are hoping to be there.

Very tempted to make a West Indian Christmas cake called Trinidad Black Cake (recipe can be found on www.trinigourmet.com). Trouble is, I have yet to get my broken food processor replaced by John Lewis. I shall have to maybe make the effort tomorrow or on Monday, probably my last chance to do this before the Christmas rush. I had not realised that having soaked the fruit for a while in rum, that it is food processed into a kind of mush before adding to the cake, which is why the cake always tastes so smooth, yet very fruity. And very moist with the large amount of booze in it.

I purchased the Christmas stamps yesterday: they are rather feeble this year, pantomime faces and very small stamps indeed. Suitable for the credit crunch I suppose.

More talk on the radio about Woolworths and MFI, hinting that these are just the first of many high street stores to go down. If I am deprived of my shopping habit, what is left? A terrible prospect. It's all very well to tell me to fall back on my own resources. That would make the incorrect assumption that I might have some resources to fall back on.

No comments: