Wednesday 26 November 2008

Disappearing Past

Woolworths and MFI to go into administration and BMI in trouble. I had just been looking at an Italian tour in the Oldie mag which involved flights by BMI. Oh dear. Woolworths is a bit of a shocker though, and where I first smelled 'Soir de Paris' and 'California Poppy' and thought they were so sophisticated, along with the make-up compacts and even Ponds Cold Cream, and Ponds Vanishing Cream, a fascinating name for a cream to me. I may have also bought a diamante 'Mum' brooch in flowing script for my poor mother on Mother's Day there. And she even wore it, perhaps not outside the front door though! I always loved Woolies as a child, and spent much of my pocket money there as a small girl. It was a treasure trove for me in the post war years.

It is like having references to one's past removed, and rather sad for that.

No comments: