Friday 26 December 2008

Boxing Day

Malvolio clawed me awake at about 5.30am, but I managed to throw him off and sleep again until 7.45am. I went to find the shopping centre closed apart from one place where I purchased some limes and lemons. On the way back home I saw a large new graffiti: 'SALUTE YOUR WOMAN' which I found quite cheering.

I breakfasted at home on Lapsang and a slice of pandoro, before doing some washing, unloading the dishwasher and refilling. I took the langoustines out of the freezer to thaw for a few hours. I shall make a potato salad, and a fresh loaf of bread.So we will be eating: lobster, langoustines, crayfish, ? smoked salmon, goose pate, cheeses, potato and tomato salad, cold ham and guinea fowl, orange and Trinidadian black cake, fruit, nuts and dates etc.

Hmmmm...I tried to defrost the lobsters overnight but they were still full of ice at 5pm today, as were the langoustines. I soaked the langoustines in some water to separate them and spread them around an oven-proof dish to thaw further while I put the oven on. The lobsters were put under running water to de-ice them, and are now soaking in tepid salt water hopefully to complete defrosting. Have just put the langoustines in the oven for 10 minutes rather than the recommended 6, just to make sure they are cooked properly. Thank goodness the lobsters are already cooked.

Julian and Dorothy turned up and we managed to eat some of the food, with long intervals between courses and relaxed in front of the TV once again until bedtime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I still read your blog every week - it makes me feel as if I'm not so far from home.

Happy new year.