Friday 26 December 2008

Christmas Day

I spent most of the day sorting things out, laying the table, cooking etc. Dorothy and Julian arrived and we had a short breakfast break before the main event, since they hadn't had any breakfast. Tea and pandoro were eaten, and Julian gave Dorothy a present of some marrons glacees which went down well. Later, Julian made a very good tomato salad which we had with some pata negra ham and a bottle of Bolly. My pheasants were rather chewy this year, and I had difficulty assembling all the vegetables, but the food was OK and we couldn't manage Christmas pudding until several hours later.

Dorothy and Julian had bought me some beautifully wrapped presents from Liberty, including some rather grand soap and body lotion, a beautiful printed silk lavender cushion, a very funny cat book and from Fortnum's, some macadamia nut chocolate biscuits in the wonderful tin with palm trees.

Dorothy does not wear scarves - apparently I made the mistake of buying one last year too! good thing I didn't buy a cashmere jumper, as Dorothy only ever wears carefully chosen T shirts. In future I think I shall just give them both money to buy whatever they like. And maybe chocs and drinks. Perhaps I will buy them some expensive champagne.

We ended up vegging out and watching TV until they left at about 10.30. They are due back on Boxing Day for tea and a relaxed evening buffet.

No comments: