Sunday 21 December 2008

Still Shopping (But Silver Still Tarnished)


I went back to Borough Market yesterday to have a coffee and croissant for breakfast at the Brindisa tapas bar and to read my Sunday paper. After that, I wandered around the market and met Richard and Mike from Utobeer. There was a really fantastic choir singing carols, so listened for a while. I think it must have been the cathedral choir. I purchased some more Agen prunes which I shall soak in brandy or Armagnac, and a horrid looking chicken which I may cook tomorrow. Despite its looks, this chicken is apparently some wonderful creature from Les Landes, and awfully expensive at £15 per kilo. However the guy let me have it for £20, so I shall cook it slowly tonight and pass judgement. May freeze a bit for extra Christmas meat.

I had a very good green curry in Lye Torng for lunch later, and pottered about the house until at about 5.30 the place went dark and it slowly dawned upon me that we were having an electricity cut. My upstairs neighbour fortunately had some matches, so we lit a candle or two. However I was going to the candlelight carol service at St. George the Martyr, so soon blew my own candles out. The church was looking lovely, mainly lit by candlelight, and the service was very well attended, followed by wine and mince pies afterwards in the crypt. By the time I returned the electricity had been restored.

Today I intend to venture forth to Fenwicks to have a look around.

No comments: