Monday 29 December 2008

Winterval Monday


I have an obsession with cutting up clementine peel and drying it, also rose petals. I usually make a pot-pourri with them, adding some cloves and other spices and refreshing occasionally with rose or neroli oil. Sometimes I keep the dried peel and add to meat casseroles in a bouquet garni. This is related to my habit of making pomanders out of oranges, tangerines, etc. which given they are both spices and citrus, is not exactly surprising.

It is very cold today. I am missing our lunch clubs and hope there will be one next week. Seems all the roads towards the Thames will be closed from either 6 or 8 on New Year's Eve, such are the crowds congregating to watch the fireworks now. I just may give it a miss as usual.

Madeleine has published some absolutely vile photographs of me at the wedding on Facebook. I look like a murderess. I felt like murdering just anyone later that evening when freezing and unable to get home.

I've had a nice message from Kath on Facebook, who is my 'new' friend.

The shopping centre at Elephant & Castle was rather dreary yesterday: people drifting aimlessly about, most shops shut between Christmas and New Year, or because it was Sunday. My usual coffee venue has been closed for ages. Woolworths is a bit tragic: bins of what look like slightly broken bits and pieces and shop stands, and people scrabbling in them for a 'bargain'. The new pound shop which has opened where the Clarks' outlet used to be is however thriving, and bursting with lots of stuff, including strange brands of food.

My fish pie was delicious, and the clementine cake also. I still haven't made the trifle, but have extracted the almond cake bases from the freezer. I think I shall involve the raspberries from the fridge, maybe some blackcurrant liqueur and some frozen winter fruits also. I shall cheat and buy Tesco's Finest custard before covering all with thick whipped cream. I shall toast some almond flakes for a topping, and am tempted to add hundreds and thousands. Just to make it look a bit silly, as any serious trifle should.

No comments: