Saturday 26 May 2012

First Urban Sketch Crawl

Despite being somewhat knackered after the Chelsea Flower Shower, I arose betimes and was at Temple Tube Station at around 10.15, so had a coffee with a couple of others before setting forth. We were given excellent maps with plenty of information, and the plan was to meet if we wanted at Temple Church at 1pm or at Gough Square later at 4pm to compare notes. I saw Jenny, and we decided to go off together. We started at the Royal Courts of Justice, where we actually stayed for quite a long time. My sketch (below) was more than somewhat crappy, but of course Jenny did a very creditable brush and ink drawing. We picked up a couple of sandwiches and ate them in Kings Bench Street where we spied an excellent vintage taxi which was taking a bride to her wedding, and Jenny did a quick sketch of that. We found a quiet place around the corner from the church and spent a short while sketching there before a final meetup in Gough Square. I met Pete Scully, who gave me his card, also James Oses, who had already met Jenny, and I gave out cards which I had from Lapin in Barcelona. There were quite a number, maybe about 25 sketchers, and all of the work was very varied and interesting. A few samples below. We then repaired to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese for a drink before departing home.

No comments: