Thursday 27 September 2007

After 65 years - Triumph With Meringues


Have just discovered I did not put enough sugar in the meringues and should have used a copper bowl to beat the whites in. I do have a copper bowl somewhere but can't find it. I may well try once more but it will definitely be the last time.

Blimey they worked - actually a bit soggy and chewy in the middle, but apparently if cooked more slowly ( I did three quarters of an hour at 140) they would have been firm throughout. I followed a recipe which said you should use 4 tablespoons of sugar per egg white. I think I used slightly less about four heaped dessertspoons. At 65 after years of meringue failure, I now feel quite accomplished. Hope it wasn't a one time fluke. Used the copper bowl for mixing the whites in. And a tiny pinch of salt (apparently could have used vinegar or cream of tartar).

No comments: