Tuesday 4 December 2007

Dinner at Caprini with Old Friends

Well, the wine flowed at Caprini all right. I had completely forgotten the unpunctuality of my friend Evon, who was giving Kate a lift. I turned up a bit early, which was just as well, because even at a small place like Caprini there was a large party upstairs and downstairs was absolutely full, so I jealously guarded a table until they finally arrived half an hour late. By this time I was a little drunk, so we ordered a bottle of champagne and some red wine and water for Evon. It was a nice little place, with leisurely service, and the food was fine apart from Evon's steak, which was not as rare as she would have liked. I started with egg mayonnaise which was heartily garnished with cucumber and tomatoes, and they both had melanzane parmigiano. We all had sirloin steaks with a very nice pepper sauce to follow.

I think one of the very interesting things about the Caprini is the variety of customers - some grabbing a meal on their way home - some obviously regulars - and all very different. There were middle-aged housewives, male work colleagues, young couples, a clerical type with a religious badge on his chest, and an elderly man clutching a copy of an Orwell novel, who was also an obvious regular. I had plenty of time to observe these before the others arrived. Kate gave me a super postcard sized card of her work which was backed as a fridge magnet. Apparently this does not cost much to have made but is done in America.

We spent hours, mainly discussing Evon's plans and problems, became quite lively and then came back for coffee. I had not realised that neither of them had seen my new kitchen and bathroom, let alone my new sitting room, but all was duly admired. We parted with the promise to meet more often.

I may well revisit the Caprini, but also may well attempt to drink a bit less.

No comments: