Monday 3 December 2007

Lovely Birthday Dinner

Today my old friend Victoria invited me to tea at Roast on Friday. We shall meet earlier here and have a wander around Borough Market before repairing upstairs for tea.

Tonight I am meeting a couple of fellow artists at Caprini, which I hope will be okay. We don't have great expectations, but hope it will be friendly, warm, and with flowing wine!

Last night Dorothy took us for my birthday dinner at Magdalen. There were two quite noisy parties when we arrived and my heart sank a bit, but fortunately they were good natured and had started ahead of us, so left early. Magdalen was very pleasant, we all had a potted crab starter, then Julian and I had roast pheasant, and Dorothy and Madeleine had lamb. We drank some very good cava. Dorothy had french toast with ice cream for dessert and I had gingerbread ice cream, both of which were delicious, the french toast, tasted by all, was the winner. After coffees, Julian wanted to show Madeleine, a west Londoner, exactly where we were so we strolled over to the river. The view was magnificent, with the mayor's office on the right, modern buildings to the left with small floodlit fountains, and Tower Bridge on the right just beyond. Madeleine said it looked rather like a film set. I'd like to take some snaps of that late at night some time.

At dinner, Dorothy and Julian gave me my present: some Chanel no 5 and a lovely little gold tie pin from 1840, shaped like a decorative bamboo twig with a tiny owl with pink tourmaline jewelled eyes. Absolutely beautiful and exquisite.

Madeleine took the rug I gave her and left me with my present - very apt, the Jessica Mitford letters, which I eagerly took to bed with me and immediately started to read.

No comments: