Sunday 31 August 2008

Brixton Party and Garden

My old friend from UCH, Catriona, came here bearing some lovely fresh figs and nectarines from Walthamstow. We sat and chatted for a bit before leaving for Roxy's party in Brixton. Apparently two friends of Roxy's had birthdays that day, and there was some confusion about who could come when, so Roxy was having open house from 2.30 until late in the evening. In the cab, I discovered I had stupidly left my purse at home when changing bags, so Catriona stumped up a tenner for the taxi fare. We met some of Roxy's friends and relations, but as we did not know them had a bit of a problem working out which of them were couples. Roxy's garden needs a makeover, having cleared a lot of weeds. The men were all suggesting pouring concrete over, but since the previous concrete had all cracked and broken, this seemed a bit of a waste to me. I think if it were my garden I would get rid of one of the beds at the back and maybe put a few cement tiles, and create a large area with beds on three sides, maybe raised up at the back, then just clear it all up a bit and put some huge pots with fruit trees and various plants trained up against the walls and fences.

We drank some wine and nibbled a bit, chatting mainly to a guy who had retired early and was moving to Hertfordshire, having lived in Brixton for twenty years. He was quite funny with a very dry humour.

Catriona and I left at about nine and had to walk quite a way to find the station, there being no cabs around. I had worn a rather tight pair of shoes which was a big mistake, but we managed to get home in the end. I have never kicked a pair of shoes off so fast. I fell straight into bed after feeding Malvolio.

No comments: