Friday 18 September 2009

Dark Days and Night Depression

Oh dear. I have awoken at 4.30am feeling very depressed. Having done my job to the best of my abilities, I am now being harassed and bullied by some trustees. Things have gone from bad to worse, and continue to deteriorate hourly, it seems.

Dorothy has helped me, Romy has been supportive, and Kooky has allowed me to de-stress a bit by stroking him . Even the Queen has inadvertently helped me a bit too, since my latest painting of her, done in between all the drama, has been helping me de-stress.

I have been connected with my workplace since 1997, when I became a trustee, and have been running the organisation successfully for the past five years. Apart from the current trouble with trustees, from the operational point of view, things have never been better, as the beneficiaries frequently testify.

The strong temptation is to leave, as I really do not need the pressure. The problem with that is that it makes me look as though I am backing down and leaving under a cloud because I am in the wrong, which is certainly not the case. I feel ill enough to justify taking sick leave to try and de-stress, but it will give the same negative impression. Since blatant lies have been told about me I am inclined to seek legal help. It is a difficult decision.

Oh well, I think I shall just have to plod on and try and be brave, despite being a bit of a natural coward. Lots of people I have heard about recently are being harassed at work - a friend of mine who is a senior nurse is being pressured to retire early as they could employ someone younger more cheaply, and these kind of bullying tactics seem more and more widespread in the workplace. Someone else close to me is also suffering due to a power struggle from above in the office - office politics eh? So at least I know I am only one of many in this unenviable situation, nevertheless I absolutely shall feel sorry for myself, so there!

I really am a bit fed up.

No comments: